The National Center for Seismology (NCS) has been set upby bringing together all Seismology related activities of IMD (including those of EREC) under one umbrella. On creation of the NCS, all the ongoing activities and projects of IMD related to Seismology (including those of EREC) shall continue to be operated / implemented through the NCS. In addition, specific R&D activities will also be undertaken by NCS, using the data sets generated by various seismic and GPS networks.
Set up a new centre of excellence in Seismology, the ‘National Centre for Seismology’, at NOIDA, as a subordinate office, under the Ministry of Earth Sciences, by separating and bringing together all Seismology and earthquake hazard related activities of India Meteorological Department (IMD), under its ambit, for deriving the desired scientific developments in the field of earthquake science.
b) Participating Institutions:
National Centre for Seismology, Noida
c) Implementation Plan:
- New laboratory buildings shall be established for the National Centre for Seismology (NCS) at Noida.
- All the Seismology related activities of IMD, including those of EREC shall be transferred from IMD to NCS and new posts shall be created and filled up.
- Specific R&D related activities shall be taken up by the Centre for better understanding of earthquake processes and associated phenomena, as detailed below:
- Crust and upper mantle structure of sections of Indian shield and Himalayan regions using receiver function techniques
- Estimation of expected ground motions for critical areas from future scenario earthquakes using empirical Green’s function technique
- Detailed seismicity and seismotectonic studies of seismically active areas in the country
- Earthquake source characterization in distinct tectonic environments
- Carryout earthquake precursor observations and comprehensive analyses of the data sets to establish possible relationship with the earthquake occurrences.
- Standardization of earthquake catalogs, etc.
- As part of human resource development, state-of-art facilities shall be established for organizing periodical training programs in Seismology and earthquake awareness programs.
- Creation of a new centre of excellence, ‘National Center for Seismology’, with state-of-art infrastructure, laboratory buildings and human resource development, to address all earthquake science related matters in the country.
- Better understanding of earthquake processes under different tectonic environments in the country, through specific R&D related projects for better preparedness and mitigation of disastrous impacts of earthquakes
e) Budget Requirement : 105 Crores
(Rs. In crores)
|Name of the Scheme
The cost towards setting up NCS includes the expenditure on the construction of the laboratory buildings for NCS at NOIDA, the recurring costs towards office expenses of NCS, R&D related activities, training and awareness related programs.