IMD presently operates a radar network most of which comprises of very old technology and are based on conventional analog systems, and therefore it is becoming obsolete with respect to the current and future generation DWRs. Moreover, the conventional radar products are incompatible with present day requirements of digital data on different parameters which can be directly used as inputs to weather prediction models.
Induction of an adequate number of DWRs in the network would facilitate plugging the existing gaps in the meteorological observational network of radars, desirable for effective and efficient analysis and consequent forecasting, in particular at the mesoscale. The availability of countrywide weather radar coverage and its integration, including overlapping regions of the proposed network would provide adequate warning in the event of approach of Cyclonic Storms, Monsoon Depressions, etc. It would also provide vital information for nowcasting purposes on mesoscale convective weather developments anywhere in the country. Radar observations would also stimulate research on the dynamics and microphysics of convective weather phenomena. The data from these DWRs would also help in understanding key as well as major differences between super cell storms and ordinary storms. Besides, it is desirable to have a dual polarimetric facility to obtain additional information on hydrometeors and their quantification in clouds, classification of precipitating clouds, etc.
Continuing the efforts of induction of the polarimetric DWRs with an aim of creating multiple overlapping configuration of the modern DWR network in the country, a total of another Eleven DWRs are being proposed by the IMD
- Improve upon the spatial and temporal density of Radar observational network, particularly over the regions with large data gaps in the country.
- Better investigation, monitoring and tracking of Tropical Cyclones during pre-monsoon and post monsoon seasons in the subcontinent.
- Better investigation, monitoring and tracking of Monsoon Depressions and Lows across the subcontinent.
- Improvement in the current understanding of the physical processes associated with Tropical Cyclones and Monsoon Systems, including better understanding of convective activity/systems per-se.
These proposed set of new DWRs would be of immense use in better Nowcasting and mesoscale forecasting. Using both NWP and conventional approaches, the objectives of other ongoing programmes are also in sync with the current proposal’s objectives.
- India Meteorological Department, New Delhi
(Rs. In crores)
|Name of Scheme||2017-18||2018-19||2019-20||Total|
|Commissioning of Polarimetric Doppler Weather Radars||3.10||35.10||61.00||99.20|